I was recently asked if I had any tips for starting a blog and how I got to where Iam. I was actually really excited to think about this because I feel like I have worked really hard on my personal blog. I've put a lot of time and effort into it and I'm proud of my blog :) So these are MY tips for starting a blog.
1. I put my self out there. I commented on other blogs like crazy and just tried to reach out to other bloggers. I would try to find blogs I could sponsor or swap buttons with. I would e-mail bloggers asking if they would like to swap guest posts as well. It gives you the chance to put your name out there and let other blogs see you as well. I've made a lot of blog friends because of this. Everyone is really nice so don't be nervous!
2. Make sure your blog looks nice. I taught myself HTML and coding so now I design blogs for other people, but that's what I wanted with mine. I made it look clean and professional and I noticed a difference right away.
3. Blog hops :) You can find all sorts of blog hops. That's where you leave your information and so do other bloggers. You are suppose to check out other blogs and follow them if you want, but that definitely gets you out in the open. If someone comments on your post, try commenting back. I try to as much as possible!
4. What is your focus on your blog?? Mine is fashion. So I have companies contacting me wanting to collaborate in some way. That also comes with time. But definitely don't be afraid to e-mail companies and ask if they work with bloggers and if they would be interested in collaborating with you. I've gotten yes's, but I also get turned down. Just depends on what that company is looking for Like I keep saying, it all takes time!
6. Be yourself in your posts. You don't want to try to be like other bloggers because you want to be original. There are a lot of fashion bloggers out there, so I try to come up with my own ideas and definitely my different taste in clothes.
7. Social media is awesome. I'm always instagramming my posts. I put my pictures on pinterest and my posts on Twitter. I would say it helps. It gets my blog on different sites which makes it so different people see it.
8. Tagging is good. Try to use key words inside the post as well. If you mention a lipstick, instead of saying red lipstick say, best red lipstick or best long lasting lipstick. Something along those lines because that is what people type into search engines. Also, when you save your pictures on your computer, be sure to save them as key words as well. I would always save my pictures as pic1, pic2, etc. but now I try to be more specific, like "outfit with leather jacket".
I started my blog as a blog just for me. I did not see it going this far, but it did. Didn't happen overnight, but I worked very hard to get where I'm at today. Just work hard and be yourself. People will find you :)